Station Road, Wigston. LE18 2DS
0116 2881611

Wigston Football – Match Report

Wigston Football – Match Report

Rawlins 1 v 6 Wigston

The match began with a very high intensity from the Wigston team, keeping the ball as well as putting the opposition defence under pressure. Loud shouts from our joint manager Cam Marriott urged the team forward as they looked for their first goal. Adam Willets stepped up to take our first goal kick of the game, he put the ball perfectly on Louie Johnson’s head as he flicks the ball into the path of Luke Hudson who neatly finished into the bottom left to put Wigston College 1-0 up.

Straight from kick off Wigston pressed hard and won the ball back immediately, Jacob Watts played the ball to Blake Adam who crossed the ball onto Luke Hudson’s foot who hit a sweet volley into the right hand side of the goal. This was looking likely to be a hammering being 2-0 up after just 7 minutes. Wigston College continued pushing as Chris Berry wins back the ball and flicks it over two player’s heads, he then sees the opportunity and volleys into the bottom left corner, with a bit of controversy of the ball hitting a wheel inside the goal, and it puts the Wigston boys 3-0 up. Wigston gained the ball again not long after kick off and began to play the ball around a bit more, Louie Johnson found himself 30 yards out with a chance to volley it, he hits it perfectly but unfortunately the keeper pulled off a great save with Blake Adam following up and putting the Wigston boys 4-0 up.

Wigston continued to play the first half with a lot of confidence. As we went into the second half we were feeling great after having a 4-0 lead and also a very motivational talk from both Mr Chalk and his young assistant Cam Marriott. A very good start to the second half as Wigston push again, as the ball comes to George Mills on the wing, he takes it past one, then another, then takes it past the first one again, then he fell over, not tackled, just fell.

After this great experience Wigston were still working hard with a very long clearance from Zach Conroy, as it falls to George Mills again who sets up Louie Johnson for a volley who perfectly strikes it into the top left corner from 30 yards to put us 5-0 up. Taylor Myatt whipped in the ball from a corner which landed to George Mills’ feet. He quickly tapped it to Johnson. With his back to goal Johnson turned onto his weak side and finished past the keeper from 6 yards. With 3 substitutes made at 6-0 up Wigston were feeling confident with 15 minutes left, unfortunately our clean sheet was lost when we were caught off guard by their attack.

With 5 minutes to go Jacob Watts was subbed back on to score a goal, this was totally possible when Yash Shaji has a throw in to put Jacob through on goal as the opposition were not concentrating, unfortunately Yash managed to injure his leg from this throw in and that attack was over. Wigston continued pushing with multiple chances from Yash Shaji hitting the post and a couple of chances from corners but the game ended at 6-1 to Wigston with a very well deserved win.