Brief Course description
The Diploma in IT introduces key themes of related to IT. You will learn what the IT industry is all about and examine the different opportunities it has to offer. As well as understanding the theory behind IT, you will learn practical skills and develop an ability to solve problems and work as part of a team. The course will open up a wide range of educational, training and career opportunities. You will also develop your English, Maths and ICT skills to a good standard.
You should consider this course if you would like:
* An alternative to GCSE options (You will still need to do the main GCSEs).
* A big qualification with a variety of units.
* A course with practical and theoretical applications.
* A broad understanding of the IT industry.
* A good progression route to higher level courses.
* A course supported by industry and Higher Education.
* A course with good employment prospects.
* Experience of Further Education.
* A minimum of 10 days work experience.
Higher Level is for those working at GCSE A* – C.
What will I learn?
You will learn about the following:
* Examine the impact and contribution of technology to society, organisations and individuals.
* Explore the use of digital technology to deliver effective communication.
* Discover how to design, develop and test a simple technology system.
* Understand multimedia technology and how multimedia products are used to support business objectives and effective communication.
As part of your diploma course, you will develop your skills in English, Maths and ICT (Functional skills) You will also develop your personal learning and thinking skills (PLTS) and complete a project which demonstrates your skills and knowledge of the subject, for example, investigating the IT industry through visits to employers, and working as part of a team in a realistic working environment.
You will also be given the opportunity to study additional, specialist subjects related to IT.
Where will I learn?
You will study both at school and at College and our soon to be built Skills Centre. Also you will take part in visits to industrial partners and Universities. You will be required to undertake a minimum of 10 days of work experience at an employers premises.
How will I be taught?
You will have opportunities to experience different styles of learning in different environments and with an emphasis on work related learning. Employers will set challenging projects and exercises that you will be able to complete individually or by working in a team.
How will I be assessed?
Most units will be assessed by your teachers and will be based on your practical, assignment and project based work. Employers will also help to assess your work particularly if they have set a project for you to complete. There will be one or 2 units where you will need to take an external test but the emphasis for the whole course is about continuous assessment by your teachers.
What can I do after this course?
Whatever level of diploma you study for at KS4, the diploma is designed to broaden your horizons and give you a wide range of next step options. There is an advanced level Hospitality diploma at post 16 which is equal to 3.5 A levels. However you could progress onto an Apprenticeship, or A levels which may not be related to the IT industry. A diploma does not mean you will be committed to a career in the IT industry as the diploma has been carefully designed to give you relevant transferable skills that will be welcomed by colleges, universities and employers.
What is this course worth?
* Level 1 is for those who are working at GCSE grades D-G and is equivalent to 6 GCSEs D-G.
* Level 2 is for those working at GCSE A* – C and is equivalent to 7 GCSEs A* -C.
Entry requirements/skills needed
It is recommended you have:
* Foundation (Level 1) SATs minimum score of 12 in English, Science, and Maths
* Higher (Level 2) SATs minimum score of 17 English, Maths and Science
It is also very important that you have:
* An interest in the IT industry
* A good attendance and punctuality record
* A good behaviour record
* Adequate literacy and numeracy skills
You will have the opportunity to visit, and/or attend work placement at a number of local Employers.